Sunday, December 23, 2007

Ode to Maggie, the Beagle Dog



Well, what a month this has been! Just before Thanksgiving, I was forced to put my dear dog Maggie to sleep! She was our very first baby, we have had her 14 years! It has been so difficult to even talk about, I didn't realize how heartbroken I/we would be. However, I knew I had to do it! The cancer had returned, and she was really suffering! I was hoping that she would make it through the holidays and was putting off the inevitable. A good friend, who also loves poochies, told me not to let her suffer! So, seeing her pain and with a great deal of anxiety, took her in and indeed, it had spread and there was a mass in her liver! I knew it was the right thing but it was soooooo hard to let her go! I know she was a smelly 'ol Beagle but I loved her dearly! Marley has been visibly sad, missing her too! Caitlin was torn up but she realized that it was the most loving thing to do! So...........

1 comment:

jgolden said...

Hi Carole,
sorry about your pooch. We too have an almost 14 yr old border collie that surely is on his last legs. His days are numbered. He was our first baby as well. Although he has a sensitive tummy we treated him to bacon and eggs on Christmas. He's a smelly old border collie too. Our friends with one of his old time playmates told us that their doggie died a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, sorry for that and hope you can get some news on going to fetch little foster soon. Take care, Jane